Get Started as a Private Seller
A Private Seller is an Individual or business that wishes to sell the contents of their storage unit in an online auction on StorageTreasures.com. They would take photos of the contents and then self-post the auction in their StorageTreasures’ facility account. All of the contents in the unit must be sold in the auction, no exceptions. There should be no trash or empty boxes in the unit. When the auction ends, the private seller and winning bidder schedule a time to meet at the facility where the unit is located, to complete the sale.
Prohibited Facilities: Not all of our Storage Operators allow Private Seller auctions due to the liability of non-tenant (bidders) on their property grounds. If you rent a unit at one of these facilities, you will not be able to post private seller auctions on our site. These facilities include: Extra Space Storage, CubeSmart, Great Value Storage, Storage Express, Storage Choice, and A-1 Self Storage (CA locations).
Facility Notification: If you rent a unit at a facility that is not listed above, we recommend that you notify the facility manager that you wish to post a private seller auction, so they are aware that when the auction ends, a non-tenant (bidder) will be allowed access onto the property in order to pick up the storage unit contents. Other than that, the facility management should not be involved in the sale, in accepting sale proceeds, or any other arrangements concerning private sale auctions.
Ready to get started?
- Register as a Facility Manager
You will first need to register as a Facility Manager. Click Here to register. Enter your first and last name, address, email address, valid phone number and then set your password.
- Facility Details
The next step is to complete the required fields on the facility details page
- The Facility Name should be “Private Seller – Your First Name, Last Name”
- The address should be the address of the storage facility
- The phone number should be your phone number
- You can skip Store ID and website URL
- Default Auction Settings
You have the ability to add default auction settings that will be applied to every auction posting. We recommend the following default settings:
- Sales Tax – 0% (If you are a business, seek advice from a tax professional)
- Cleaning Deposit - $100
- Cleanout Time – 72 hours
- Accepted Payment Methods: Cash only
- Additional Information – The following statements must be included: “This is a Private Sale. Please contact the private seller directly to schedule an appointment to pick up the unit. Do NOT contact the storage facility.”
- Skip (do not complete) Hours of Operation, Features at this Facility and Opt-in to Charity Storage. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save
- Add a Payment Method
Private Sellers are required to have a valid credit card on file with StorageTreasures.com prior to posting an auction. Please contact Customer Support at 480-397-6503 for assistance.
Cancellation Fee: If you cancel an auction the day after the auction starts, we charge a $20 cancellation fee to the card on file.
Seller’s Premium: We charge a 10% seller’s premium (of the sales price), which is called ‘Purchase Deposit’ on the Invoice. This fee is collected from the winning bidder upfront by StorageTreasures.com, so there is no need to invoice you after the auction, for this amount. In other words, the bidder will pay you 90% of the sales price.
- Post Your Private Seller Auction
- Click Your Account, then select the Facility Mgmt tab.
- Click the New Auction button to the right of your contact information.
- Auction Type must be listed as “Manager’s Special/Non-Lien”
- Enter unit details in the required fields
- Describe the unit contents and select categories
- Set the ‘Start’ and ‘End’ dates/times. We recommend that the auction run for 7 to 10 days
- Go to Step 2 and upload images of the unit contents (5 to 15 clear, large photos)
- Click Post your Auction Now
- Ensure that ALL items in the unit are sellable merchandise (selling trash is prohibited)
- Do not touch, add, or remove any items after the auction has been posted
- What to Expect Once the Auction Ends
Once the auction ends, we automatically charge our fees to the winning bidder’s card on file. If successful, both you and the bidder will receive an emailed Paid Invoice. The invoice will include both parties’ contact information, the auction details and the ‘Balance Due at Facility’ amount. It is highly recommended that you immediately call the winning bidder, to schedule a time to meet at the storage facility.
Collecting Payment from the Bidder: Meet the bidder outside of the facility gate/property to collect the ‘Balance Due at Facility’ and the additional cleaning deposit ($100) in cash, as stated on the Paid Invoice. Then, have the bidder follow you to the storage unit, and open the unit in the bidder’s presence. The bidder has until the clean-out time expires to empty the unit entirely and leave it ‘broom swept’. We recommend that you wait while the bidder empties the unit, as they are your responsibility while on facility grounds. Once you have inspected the unit is empty, you would then refund the cleaning deposit to the bidder.
- Private Seller Review Team
We have a dedicated team that reviews all Private Seller auctions posted on StorageTreasures.com, for compliance. To avoid any issues with your auction or the bidders, please ensure the following:
- You are not hosting the sale at an Extra Space, CubeSmart, Great Value Storage, Storage Express, Storage Choice, or A-1 Self Storage (CA) location
- You have added a valid debit/credit card on file
- You have posted the auction as a “Manager’s Special/Non-Lien” unit
- You list the facility’s name as “Private Seller – First Name, Last Name” or "Private Seller - Business Name"
- You do not participate in shill Bidding (bidding on your own unit to drive up the price)
- You do not put trash, empty boxes or broken items in the unit (only sellable, usable items)
- You do not charge sales tax if you are an individual. If you are a business entity, then you should determine if sales tax should be charged to the bidder
- When the auction ends, contact the bidder immediately to schedule an appointment to meet you at the facility. You do not want the bidder contacting the facility manager, as they are not involved in the sale
- Payment for the auction must be collected from the bidder, including the cleaning deposit, prior to entering the facility property with the bidder
- It is highly recommended that you remain with the bidder during the entire time the bidder is cleaning out the unit. As a tenant, you are responsible for your storage unit and the activities of the bidder
- Cleaning deposit must be refunded to the bidder (in cash) immediately, upon inspection that the unit has been emptied
- Do not inconvenience or disrupt the other tenants or facility staff
- If the Review Team determines that any of these rules are not followed, your auction may be cancelled, the sale rescinded and/or you may be suspended from StorageTreasures.com
Contact Customer Support at 480.397.6503 or email email@example.com for questions or assistance.